Search This Blog

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Searching For Jobs While Receiving Unemployment Benefits

In Texas you need to file for Unemployment Benefits/Unemployment Insurance Benefits (UI), you need to file through the Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) and sign up on line for UI at this link. The TWC requires you to do a minimum of 5 job searches per week to receive your benefits. Personally, I do not like the TWC job search site. I am in a very specialized Engineering field, IC Mask Design Engineer, and there are very few matches under the "job search" page and ZERO under "my job matches." The times that I have found a job match, the position has already been filled.

Back to your minimum 5 job searches, you must keep a record of each search. The provide you with a form that you can fill out but, I prefer to keep mine on the computer and print out a monthly log. The easiest way that I have found to keep track of my searches is to:
  • Make a "job search" folder on your computer
  • Start a MS Word Document (you could use Word Pad, Note Pad or a similar word processing program)
  • Save you document as "Job Searches" or "Job Searches June 15" then you can change the week starting date and month, however you choose to keep your records (weekly, monthly, etc.)
  • Since I use the monthly, I use the same document for all of my searches and just add the date before each entry
Here is a link that I found with a US map to find the correct link for all states at American Service Locator.

2 comments:

  1. Best wishes on your job search, and thanks for posting this resource!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy,

    Thank you for your well wishes =) and I am glad that you like the resources

    Alec

    ReplyDelete